Planning to transform your kitchen? Follow expert designer Abbe Fenimore’s fail-proof advice for the perfect kitchen remodel.
1.Keep your kitchen’s current layout. It’s much easier to update the space, and it will
allow you to add a few upgrades that major
constructions costs can chew up.
2. Ask friends or family to refer contractors who can give you a bid on your project. If you need assistance with the details, consider hiring a designer
who can pull the look together and keep your budget on track.
3. Budgets can get out of hand if you don’t have a plan to stick to. Make a spreadsheet with all of the costs involved, and always keep the lines of communication open with your contractor and designer.
4. Use what you have, which, when combined with a few affordable updates, can completely change the look and feel of your kitchen. A fresh coat of paint, new hardware and under-cabinet lighting are the easiest ways to make an impact without gutting the space.
5. Narrow down your top choices for flooring, countertops, lighting, appliances, etc. and always have “same look for less” backup options. Be prepared to compromise if price and availability throw off your plan.
6. If you plan to undergo a major kitchen renovation while living in your home, discuss the timeframe in detail with your contractor to
make sure there are no major surprises. Expect material
backorders, scheduling conflicts and inevitable mishaps.
your options so that you are comfortable with your investment pieces.
Have a kitchen renovation story or question? Tell us all about it in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you!
By Rebecca Razo